Welcome to Day 4 of the 2013 Artisan Entry Blog Hop!
And now, one of the dreaded 3D projects... One of the good thing about having a set number of diversified projects to make is that we all have to be forced out of our comfort zone and tackled projects we might not feel is our forte. I often read demos who enter mention that they are not scrapbookers and that it was what gave them most grief. In my case, it's the 3D project. You've seen my blog, I make some 3D stuff now and then, but mostly when I have something specific I want to make for a purpose or a special gift. I don't do 3Ds just for fun because they take up a lot of room! You should see how many boxes and other 3D samples I gave away or even unfortunately threw away when I moved last Spring. It is a shame that I don't get to make more, though, because practice makes better, so when the Artisan contest rolled around, I knew not only that I'm not as good as some other stampers in the 3D projects department, but also that on a three-week timeline, I would be extremely pressed for time and would have to keep the realm of the projects within reasonable proportions.
My first 3D was a canvas frame. I wanted to create a chalkboard look, so I painted it all black, then stamped my title in vanilla paint to match the fabric. The scrolls in the corners were stamped with Whisper White Craft ink and I sponged some white ink here and there on the black canvas as well.
The small plastic frames were found at a local store. They were red and navy originally, but the navy did not work with the canvas, so I used some metallic paint (that smelled so strong it probably killed a brain cell or two!) to paint it silver. Those were glued in place with a glue gun after slipping my pictures inside.
The right side of the canvas was decorated with fabric. A scallop border was die-cut using the Tasteful Trims die, and I used the Typeset Alphabet dies to die-cut my title (Family). I made sure to cover the back of the fabric with the adhesive sheets before die-cutting, so I was able to glue the letters on the fabric, and then I handstitched around each letter one by one using black needlepoint floss. To create the little hearts hanging from the top of the frame, I die-cut two layers of fabric using the Hearts a Flutter Framelits dies and handstitched around them using black floss again. (And to stuff the hearts, I went green: I use the fabric leftover from my other die-cutting!) Finally, a sponged and stamped paper doily decorates the bottom corner of the frame.
The ribbon bow at the top is not really glued to the frame, it's just sitting on top right now because the frame wasn't hung, but it's coming from behind the frame and can be used to hang it in place. I love wide ribbon for projects like this and it's too bad we don't carry anything that wide right now. Good thing we had this two-tone ribbon in the Spring catalogue to finish off my frame!
Stampin' Up! Supplies
Stamps: Everything Eleanor, Moments mémorables (Memorable Moments), Morning Post Alphabet
Ink: Pool Party, Primrose Petal, Whisper White
Accessories: Paper Doily, Silver paint, Black paint, Plastic frames, More Amore Designer fabrics,
Typeset Alphabet Bigz dies, Tasteful Trims die, Flower trim, Red stitched grosgrain ribbon,
Artisan Kit (rose), Black needlepoint floss, in Color dahlia, Designer button, Jumbo pearls,
sponge, canvas, Basic Grey two-tone ribbon
Here are all the links to the participants' blogs in case you can't hop from one blog to the next properly:
Brenda Quintana http://qbeesquest.blogspot.com/
Joan Robertson http://www.dailystampede.com/
Lauri Ingram http://lauri-paperville.blogspot.com/
Laura Mellinger http://laurasworksofheart.blogspot.com/
Kandi Phillips http://kandiphillips.blogspot.com/
Lisa Hensley http://ponygirl40stamps.blogspot.com/
Anna Black http://my-creation-station.blogspot.com/
Pamela Staples http://www.sunnygirlscraps.com/
Tina Munzke http://www.craftedwithclass.blogspot.com/
Cindy Major http://www.cindymajor.typepad.com/